Selective Amygdalohippocampectomy (SAH) is a widespread technique for Mesial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy (MTLE) treatment. Dr. Niemeyer was the first to describe SAH using transventricular approach technique in 1958. In 2018, we celebrate 60 years of the original description of Niemeyer's approach. This study reviews the approach in light of currently technology and shows the results achieved with patients submitted to SAH following Niemeyer's approach at Instituto Estadual do Cérebro Paulo Niemeyer (IECPN)*.
A retrospective case series of MTLE patients who underwent SAH using the transventricular approach between August 2013 and October 2015 at IECPN. Only cases with Hippocampal Sclerosis (HS) were included.
We identified 13 HS patients with 37.4 years mean age who underwent SAH, with favorable outcomes, 11 (84.6%) classified as Engel I while the other 2 (15.4%) as Engel II.
In our sample, the pioneer transventricular approach described by Niemeyer was followed to perform SAH while using current surgical resources with excellent outcomes.